My extensive experience includes everything from promoting large scale Rodeo events to Limo Companies and historic shopping districts. This is just an example.
Case Study: Port Colborne, ON
“Shop, Dine & Explore”
Port Colborne is a rural city (pop. 18,000) in the Niagara Region of Southern Ontario. Once known as an industrial and agricultural area, the city offers visitors unexpected history, culture and recreation at the base of the Welland Canal. It is the only town/city in Southern Ontario to offer spectacular views of both the Welland Canal and Lake Erie. The downtown is situated alongside the canal with breathtaking views.
This location had not previously been viewed as a tour destination, so I was recruited to market Historic Downtown Port Colborne to tour operators. By highlighting city assets with a branded website, I developed a strategy through research, relationship building and niche marketing. I aimed a series of campaigns at tour operators within a 3 hr radius, creating an exclusive Day Trip Itinerary built around local assets. These campaigns, were supported by social media engagement, my attendance at two OMCA (Ontario Motor Coach Association) conferences and the creation of a “Top 10 Things to Do in Port Colborne’s Historic Canal District” list – allowing the city to convey its personality of small town charm via digital and print marketing materials. The package I created offered the right blend of authentic imagery, custom photography, Itinerary and marketing to a specific sector, creating excitement and interest in a destination that will only continue to grow as tourists discover the location.
- Architecture – Convey the story of your town in structures. Port Colborne examples: Historic Canal District, Bridge 21, Visitors Centre, Vale Centre.
- Arts & Culture – Your local resources; people, places to events. Port Colborne examples: Marine & Historical Museum, Roselawn Centre for Performing Arts, art & craft galleries, Canal Days Festival.
- Commerce – Assess businesses that your town is known for. Port Colborne examples: Farmers Market, Micro Brewery, boutiques, antique shopping, and unique stores for gifts, food and décor.
- Cuisine – Tell the story of your town through its local cuisine. Port Colborne examples: restaurants, bakeries, Farmers Market, Micro Brewery.
- Recreation – Local sports and activities. Port Colborne examples: golfing, boating, fishing, hiking, water sports, bird/wildlife watching.
- Geography – Assess natural landmarks, scenic attractions and nature. Port Colborne examples: Welland Canal. Lake Erie, Sugarloaf Hill, Onondaga Feature, Beaches, Wainfleet Bog.
- History – Outline the history of your town. Port Colborne examples: historic homes, Welland Canal, War of 1812, ship yards, marine heritage.
- People – Assess the influence of notable figures in your town. Port Colborne examples: home to notable athletes, musicians, politicians, artists.